Friday 1 February 2008

Exodus: The Rod

Humbly admitting I'm behind, only finished Exodus 5 last night. Been taking notes on things that stood out but there was one that I sat on a little longer than the others. I love the verse in chapter 4, "What is that in thine hand?" (v2), immediately this made me think of service. Sometimes we seek high and low looking for what it is that God will give us to help us through this prilgrim journey; our little helpers, our gifts.... to "do more" for God. Sometimes we think the bigger the blessing or gift the better we can serve God. Clearly this was not the case with Moses and his old rod. The following verses, God shows His power through this rod, I see this in a couple of ways. Firstly, when we look at our own gifts, situation, possessions etc, it may not be something we would boast about, but it can be used to do great things only through His might. And secondly, ourselves. We certainly are not capable to do anything, we're worthless but like that old rod, can still be used by God to do wonders. The other thing was, Moses already had the rod in his hand but was using it for little daily tasks (not sure exactly what - poke sheep?), makes me wonder what God has already given me. Maybe God will show me like He did with Moses.

No comments: